Friday, January 15, 2010

Chef Debbie Gets Her Buttons Pushed

I try to be a nice person. Really, I do.

I put $5 in every Salvation Army Red Kettle I pass; I buy something from every neighborhood kid who comes to the door; I always let people with just a few items get in front of me in the grocery store checkout line.

But. When I have to travel into the abyss that is Costco, all bets are off.

So today I get to Costco around 12:30 ~ late enough that the young mothers with toddlers who meet and let the kids have play dates in the middle of the aisles are all home drinking lunch. And after the 11:00 a.m. rush of the food moochers ~ the people who have no intention of buying anything, but stroll 3 or 4 abreast sampling every food item at the end of every aisle.

You know who I'm talking about. You've seen them. And had to push your full cart around them while they have a coffee klatch in the middle of everything.

So today I'd gotten through all the freeloaders with just a minimal amount of pushing and shoving and the self~checkout lines are in sight.

And then she happens.

The old lady had just one item in her shopping cart. She was dressed in her finest fur coat, talking on a cell phone, hair and makeup done just so. She pushes her cart right in front of me and makes a dead stop. I try to go around her and she backs up.

I'm thinking this could get ugly...

Juggling her cell phone and grocery bag~sized purse, she pulls the one item out of her cart ~ a bottle of two zillion multi~vitamins and is trying to hand it to me.

"I need you to purchase this for me. They want me to spend $50 on a card just so I can purchase this giggasize bottle of vitamins." She's flabbergasted that Costco would actually expect her to purchase a membership in order to buy something!

And you know me... I said the first thing that popped into my head. "If you don't have a membership card, how did you get in here?"

"They have to let anyone in who says they're going to the pharmacy. Then I just wander around until I find someone to pay for what I want." She's very, very proud of herself!

Once again, mouth is much faster than the brain... "Absolutely not! If you're too cheap to buy a membership, then..."

She walked away from me. She freaking walked away from me! And approached another person.

So I shake my head, make a detour to the fresh flowers and spend a few minutes picking over the gorgeous bouquets.

I get to the self~checkout and a woman with only a few items is in line behind me. Of course, I let her go in front of me.

As I head toward the exit and line to show the checker my receipt, the woman I let in front of me is there.

With the vitamin lady ~ who turns to me, smirks and sticks her tongue out at me.

Is it wrong to want to run her over with my cart?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Run her over! Back up and run her over again. I would totally have ripped her...reported to the desk that there was some woman soliciting customers and she was harrassing. Unbelieveable. I'm going to Costco tomorrow...you have me worried now...lol

Yummy~issimo! said...

Melissa you have NO idea how much I wanted to do just that! Problem is I drive the Yummy~mobile everywhere so people would know who I am LOL

Lana said...

While I have not had the check out episode happen to me I have had people walk right in front of me at the checkout just as I am getting ready to unload my stuff. I am usually so dumfounded that I can't find my voice. Don't get And the grazers...you are so right...they ain't gonna buy a blessed thing they taste. I try hard to steer clear of them but they always seem to be in front of the case I need to get in. Christmas time was maddening!

Yummy~issimo! said...

Lana I found that massive quantities of alcohol BEFORE I went into Costco was the only way I survived the holiday season LOL

Unknown said...

I'm with Melissa...should have run her over. Great post though!