Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Probably the Last of Summer


Zucchini Blossoms
Originally uploaded by yummyissimo

I found these beautiful zucchini blossoms at Findlay Market Sunday morning. As owner of Yummy~issimo! Personal Chef Service in Cincinnati, I'm always looking for edible blossoms to add to my client's salads and meals.

If you find these edible beauties and aren't quite ready to use them, just gently place them in a clamshell and place in the refrigerator. They'll keep 3~4 days. I love leaving the baby zucchini on and serving both on a salad or as a interesting side dish.


Fried Zucchini Blossoms

2/3c all~purpose flour

3/4c beer (I use Heinekin or Corona)

canola oil, for frying

Kosher salt, or grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish

12 zucchini blossoms

Whisk flour and beer together until no lumps remain. Heat oil in heavy skillet. Dip blossoms into batter and place in hot oil. Fry and turn after blossom turns golden brown on one side. Remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain. Immediately sprinkle with kosher salt or Parmesan cheese.

I've been to restaurants where they serve zucchini blossoms as an appetizer ~ and they run about $8 for 2~3 blossoms!

If you feel really wild and crazy, you can stuff each blossom with 1t of ricotta or mozzarella cheese before you batter and fry it.

You can also use this recipe with squash, watermellon and pumpkin blossoms.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Chef Liz said...

I LOVE zucchini blossoms! We have friends up our road that have a "fry" every summer....they are the best! Debbie, your blog looks awesome...but I think you need to mention your name! I had to go back to the USPCA site to see who you were! BIG congrats on Marketer of the Year! Woo Hoo! I have signed up on blogger, but have yet to create it....great job on yours!
Liz Geeslin
In Good Taste Personal Chef Service

Yummy~issimo! said...

Thanks so much Liz! If you want any help with the ins and outs of actually setting your new the blog, call me. It was a little time consuming but definitely worth the effort. I thought I had my name in there but evidently it's too well hidden :) Thanks for the feedback.

Keep an eye out for the next few days as I'll put some photos and info on from my video shoot for Bravo TV from today.