Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Recipe for Disaster!

Got home from cooking for one of my fav clients today and decided to whip up something for dinner.  The thought was to stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours, get some work done, have a glass with Bacchus and then pop dinner in the oven.

Sorta like having my own personal chef.

Then.  This.  Happened.




We have to worry about lead in all the products from China, mad cow disease, pesticides, artificial growth hormones, mercury in our seafood, white sugar, white flour, yada, yada, yada.

Thought a pork tenderloin, stuffed with spicy mango couscous made with a touch of Grand Marnier sounded good.  Easy.  Not too heavy.  Not too many carbs.  Low fat. All the good things.

Then.  This.  Happened.

The couscous was cooked.  Spicy mango chutney and spices added.  Pine nuts toasted and added.  Garlic and shallots minced and added.  The pork was stuffed and put in the fridge.  And, it looked really good.

Putting the lid back on the chutney, I noticed something odd.

Huh.  That looks like a piece of glass in the chutney jar.

Nah.  Can't be.  Must be the light reflecting funny.

Nope.  It's glass.  A large freaking piece of glass.

In the jar.

In the freaking jar!  And my jar certainly isn't broken anywhere.

It's over 3" long and 1 1/2" wide.  Look closely at the photo and you'll see the piece of broken glass on the lid.

So.  I've e~mailed the company.  They're in India.  I'll never hear from them.

All I can do is warn you.  If you have a jar of Poonjiaji's Major Grey's Mango Chutney in your refrigerator, cupboard or pantry, throw it out.  The code on my jar is 6171N2.

Great.  One more thing to put on the "things to worry about" list.  Food items not bottled in the good ole U.S. of A.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was 11, I went to spend a week or two helping my aunt with her newborn twins. Horror of horrors, she found broken glass in the bottom of a jar of Gerber Baby Food!! I couldn't believe it, and swore then and there that any food I ever fed a baby would be homemade. That resolve is as yet untested as I don't have kids of my own, but still... I never would have thought a company like Gerber could have a problem like that.