Monday, July 28, 2008

Forget the Mayo: Recipe for Homemade Ranch Dressing

A Blog A Day For A Month: Day 28. Only 3 more days to go.

Yesterday sweet husband Tim went out to the ATP Tennis Tournament with Ryan (of Kristy and Ryan fame). I love when he's gone and I can have exactly what I want for lunch or dinner.

Don't get me wrong. I love when he's home but if he's out of town and I want spaghetti 4 nights in a row, I'll have spaghetti 4 nights in a row.

So yesterday I was craving a Tuna Stuffed Tomato. And, although I don't get it, sweet husband is "just OK" about fresh tomatoes.

Goodie! More for me!

My favorite way of having tuna salad is tuna mixed with homemade Ranch dressing (forget about using mayonnaise or {GASP} Miracle Whip), fresh dill, lots of finely diced green onion, sliced green olives and capers.

Heaven on a piece of bread. Or, in this case, stuffed inside a big, juicy red tomato.

And, of course, it must be served on a pretty plate with fresh flowers and garnished with dried dill and organic dried flower petals.  A glass of chilled, crisp Chardonnay wouldn't be bad either!

Homemade Ranch Dressing
Makes 1 1/2 cups

1c mayonnaise
1/2c sour cream
1T dill, fresh, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2T lime juice, fresh
1/4c buttermilk
1T parsley, fresh, chopped
1T red bell pepper, finely minced
1T chives, chopped

Whisk all ingredients until well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and chill at least 8 hours for flavors to blend.

Keeps well, refrigerated and covered, for 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Chef Debbie said...

Now, Miracle Whip on toast with fresh tomato, bacon, and lettuce? You cannot get any better! There is definitely a place for Mayo and a place for MW!