Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Get A Glow From Zinfandel

A Blog A Day For A Month: Day 1. Only 30 more days to go.

I get a lot of e~mails from friends sending jokes, cartoons and other funnies that make me smile. Here's Maxine, one of the greatest cartoon characters of all time, and it's scary how many of her witticisms apply to my life.


While you may find it hard to believe, I do like to visit with Bacchus every once in a while. OK. I admit. Visiting time is normally around 5:00 p.m. Every day. But it's important to keep in touch with friends.

So back to Maxine. I love this cartoon ~ it's so me! I don't "do" the sun. Unlike Sweet Husband Tim who walks out into the sun and turns a deep dark golden brown, when I sun all I do is burn, turn red, peel, burn, turn red, peel, repeat process.

So if you want to get your glow on with Zinfandel, here's a Yummy! recipe to get you started.

Zinfandel Cioppino
Modified from
Epicurious.com
Serves 6

1 large fennel bulb and 3" of stalks, diced, reserve 4 fronds for garnish
1 large onion, diced
1/2c celery, thinly sliced
1/2c carrots, small dice
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1t dried thyme
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/4t Old Bay Seasoning
salt and pepper
1 ~ 28oz can diced tomatoes
1/2c vegetable stock
1 bottle Zinfandel ~ divided use
8oz clam juice ~ can use Clamato Juice
1/2 pound halibut, cut into 2" pieces
1/2 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 pound mussels
8oz clams, canned, do not drain

Open Zinfandel, measure 1c and set aside. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy while cooking.

Heat oil in 6~quart soup pot over medium heat. Stir in fennel, onion, celery, carrot, garlic,bay leaves, thyme, red pepper flakes, Old Bay Seasoning and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften ~ about 4 minutes.

Add tomatoes with their juices, vegetable stock, 1c reserved Zinfandel and clam juice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.

Check your wine level. Pour another glass if needed. Stir in seafood and cook, uncovered, until seafood is just cooked through and mussels open wide, approximately 5~6 minutes. Discard bay leaves and any mussels that remain closed after 6 minutes.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Chef Debbie said...

Great post, Deb! I'll try the Zin and...well....I'll get to the recipe later.

Deb

Yummy~issimo! said...

I suggest opening 2 bottles - just in case one has a touch of cork in it :)