Saturday, July 12, 2008

National Ice Cream Month

A Blog A Day For A Month: Day 12. Only 19 more days to go.

I'm a little behind in reading my food magazines.

OK, I admit it. I have 4 full shelves full of magazines full of glorious recipes waiting for me to try. But when I received the August 2008 Bon Appetit Magazine, I was practically salivating before I could rip off the plastic cover.

July is National Ice Cream Month and I can't tell you the last time I had a scoop. Ice cream is one of those foods that as long as I don't start, I won't over~indulge. But if I start, Katie bar the door because it's like an obsession.

When I do give in to the ice cream urge, I go all the way and nothing will satisfy except for a big scoop of Graeter's black cherry. Or caramel. Or cherry vanilla. Or peppermint. Or cinnamon. Or peach. Or mango sorbet. Wait. That's not truly an ice cream, is it? Who cares! It's cold, creamy and oh so good!

OK. Now it's official. I have the ice cream urge and nothing is going to satisfy it until I have a scoop.

Unless it's a glass of a deep, full bodied, spicy, peppery zinfandel.

Oh by the way. Did you know that you can get a FREE SCOOP of Graeter's ice cream on your birthday? True! Take your driver's license and get any scoop you want.

2 comments:

Chef Debbie said...

That's not fair. I don't have a Graeter's Ice Cream Parlor near me.

But have you ever had Cheerwine ice cream???? Here you go:

Cheerwine Brain Freeze Ice Cream
(adapted from Cheerwine official recipe)

You will need:
2 cups whole milk
4 eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
One (1) 13 oz. can evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups Cheerwine (use regular, not diet)
Additional mMilk
Maraschino cherries
Toasted Pecans

Mix eggs and regular milk in double boiler and heat until steaming hot throughout. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Add sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Chill. Add Cheerwine. Put mixture into 4 quart ice cream freezer container and add additional milk to bring mixture to fill line. Add cherries or nuts to taste! Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Yummy~issimo! said...

What in the world is Cheerwine?